Friday, February 22, 2008

Disappointing

We went to the Magnum 60 Years exhibition in Amsterdam yesterday and I have to say, it was very disappointing. As a Magnum addict, I was really looking forward to this retrospective. But it was more a timeline of events in the Magnum history, arranged year-by-year along two walls, with limited photos, along with book covers, mostly without captions, placed way too high so we had sore necks by the end of it. A lot of text which didn't always correspond to the visuals. The light was terrible and cast shadows over the photos. Probably worst was the exhibition next door, some modern 'art' installation on noise, blasting said noise (screeching opera, metallic whining) into this room and completely distracting. And a steep 9E.

Perhaps we should've gone next door to the free Scientology-sponsored travelling exhibition, Psychiatry: An Industry Of Death. These people are truly scary.

7 comments:

deepkickgirl said...

I'm a little confused!

a) I hadn't realised Magnums have been around for 60 years.

b) Why have a retrospective on ice cream? I mean they've had heaps of flavours and everything, all those limited editions, etc. But a retrospective is a bit extreme, don't you think!

Jules said...

You are hilarious!!!!!!

Unknown said...

hmm, i really enjoyed it but mostly for the part that you don't mention: the big screens in the back with the slideshows of all the artists.

the timeline was disappointing yes, although it gave me a bit more background which was good i guess. But I loved the slideshows on the screens. Could sit for hours watching the pictures come by.

Jules said...

Those screens were good, but I found the noise next door so distracting that I didn't want to stay and enjoy them.

deepkickgirl said...

Ahm, I wasn't being funny. What is Magnum if not ice cream? Possibly an 80s private eye series starring Tom Selleck, but I can't see you going to a retrospective of that either.

Jules said...

Haha I did have a crush on Magnum PI.

Take a look: http://www.magnumphotos.com/

Unknown said...

ah, we had no noise. so i guess that made the difference...